Out-of-the-area, out-of-state, and international prospective students are encouraged to complete the application process. The MS in Child Life Program Chair will be in contact once your application is complete.
Admission Requirements for Child Life Masters
In addition to the requirements and application materials listed in the Graduate Admission section of this catalog, the following are required:
- Completed Admission Application and application fee.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. A Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a preferred GPA of 3.0 or above in undergraduate work and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in any graduate work.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from an individual who can comment on applicant’s ability to work with children, and the second from an individual who can comment on the applicant’s academic skills and ability to succeed in graduate school
- A professional resume.
- Statement of purpose (approximately 500 words) that includes 1) any personal or professional experiences and qualifications related to your field of study, 2) your perspective on the importance and role of cultural competence in child life and the health care environment, and 3) applicant’s motivation for seeking admission to the program
- A individual interview (in person or virtually based on the location and availability).
- At least 15 semester hours or a minimum of 5 courses in Child Development or related fields approved by the M.S., Child Life Chairperson
- 1 to 2 years of professional work experience with children in educational institutions or related institutions approved by the M.S., Child Life Chairperson
- Completion of the pre-admission questions and possible in-hospital visitation by the prospective candidate
- A writing assessment with the chairperson
- Preferred Child Life hospital volunteer experience
- Language proficiency (TOEFL IBT 80, IELTS 6.5, ELS level 112, or equivalent)
- Credential evaluation is needed for international transcripts
The following items are required for an I-20 student visa:
- Financial statement (within the last six months)
- Bank statement (within the last six months)
- Copy of passport